Writing quote

Sure, it's simple writing for kids...Just as simple as raising them.
— Ursula K. LeGuin

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

BACK OUT INTO THE PUBLISHING WORLD

   Okay, my publication contract has been cancelled. I was now faced with two choices: I can get really depressed and wallow in self-pity, or send the darn thing out into the publishing world again. I figured I had done what I could do: write the story, edit it a zillion times, submit it, work with editors to edit it a zillion more times. Everything else that had to do with Tricycle Press closing was beyond my control, and there was no use harping on it. So, I made the revisions that Joanne Taylor had suggested, and sent it to my former editor, Yolanda Scott, at Charlesbridge Publishing (Charlesbridge doesn't publish many folk tales/fairy tales, but Yolanda thought the multi-cultural twist was interesting so asked me to send it on), and to three agents: Stephen Barbara at Foundry Literary+Media, whom I had met at the Asilomar Writer's Conference, Ammi-Joan Paquette of the Erin Murphy Literary Agency, and Kelly Sonnack of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency, both of whom I met (at different times) at the SCBWI Northern California Writer's Conference at Mills College.
   Stephen emailed back very quickly and said the work wasn't a match for his list. Ammi-Joan thought it was a cute story, and asked to see more of my work. And Kelly Sonnack never responded which, according to the Andrea Brown Lit. Agency website, means they're not interested in representing you. 
   I sent Ammi-Joan another picture book manuscript and the 1st three chapters of my Young Adult novel for review. 
   Sigh. More waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment