Writing quote

Sure, it's simple writing for kids...Just as simple as raising them.
— Ursula K. LeGuin

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'M GOING TO THE SCBWI L.A. CONFERENCE!

   If only publishers were so speedy in their responses. I mailed my application for an SCBWI grant that would help fund the cost of attending the annual SCBWI Summer Conference in Los Angeles on Friday, April 29. The application had to be postmarked by May 1. I received an email on Monday or Tuesday, informing me that I was one of 3 recipients for this $750 grant. Yipee! So, I'm all registered and booked on a flight to L.A. in August. Unfortunately, the flights were pretty expensive, so the grant didn't cover all the transportation costs, and to save money, I'm staying a my brother Jason's pad in Santa Monica. He won't be there, but he offered me the use of his car too.
   "So," I said. "Do I get to drive the porsche then?"
   "Er..Let me clarify...you get to drive the station wagon."
   Oh, right. Still...it's a BMW wagon which beats my soccer mom mini-van anyday.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity and a pretty cool brother, too! Be sure to write about it when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I'm sure there will be lots of fascinating things to talk about. We were directed by SCBWI NOT to post handouts and specific information from speakers, though, only general comments and summaries.

    ReplyDelete