Writing quote

Sure, it's simple writing for kids...Just as simple as raising them.
— Ursula K. LeGuin

Saturday, June 9, 2007

FLUTTERING BUTTERFLIES AND AN AFTER-PLAY HIGH

I know, I know, it's only a ten minute play at a local community College, but it could have been on Broadway the way the butterflies fluttered and somersaulted in my stomach. The problem with comedy is that the timing and pacing is crucial if you want the audience to laugh at all the right places. So, this Friday and Saturday, May 18 & 19, as I took my seat in a packed theater (we had sold-out performances both nights!), I was half-wishing I had something a little stronger in my cup of coffee. But the cast was AWESOME! Talk about rising to the occasion! Though Friday night's performance was good, Saturday's was even better. They were so ON Target with their comedic timing, it was absolutely gratifying to hear peals of laughter from the audience. Even my husband, who can sometimes be my toughest critic, laughed uproariously, and without my planned cues of digging him in the ribs at the appropriate moments. "Oh, Baby!" will be posted under the Plays section on my website when the video becomes available. So, keep an eye out for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment