Writing quote

Sure, it's simple writing for kids...Just as simple as raising them.
— Ursula K. LeGuin

Thursday, June 21, 2007

WAD FEST

As if I don't already suffer from sleep deprivation, I've been crazy enough to sign up for the WAD (Writers, Actors, Directors) fest, otherwise known as the 24 hour play festival this weekend. WAD comprises several teams, consisting of a director, a writer or two, and two to four actors. Everyone meets at 8 pm. on Friday night, June 22, and each team gets to throw a theme into the hat. A theme is then drawn, and writers have to write their plays based on that theme. Writers have 12 hours from 8 pm. Friday, to 8 am. Saturday to write their script, then the directors and actors will have 12 hours, from 8 am. to 8 pm., Saturday, to learn their lines, stage the play, and perform in front of a live audience Saturday night at the Ukiah Players Theater

This is the second year it's been done in Ukiah. Last year, I was intrigued, but too chicken to try it -- I didn't think I could write under that kind of pressure. But this year, I'm collaborating with my fellow playwright and writers' group member, Paul Kubin, so there's someone else to share the load. WAD promises to be one big adrenaline-rush, and I'm looking forward to the friendly, albeit intense, competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment